My C-Section:Unfiltered Part 2

Hi again … my name is Mikaela and earlier in the week I wrote a piece about my emergency C-Section. I also wanted to let you know how I coped at home and getting back to life, especially for pregnant ladies to give them a bit of an insight into what to expect (or be prepared for … as I certainly wasn’t prepared for the next 6 weeks!) Here goes…

If I’m honest being at home wasn’t any easier than being in hospital, the pain was constant! Climbing stairs, getting in and out of bed and even moving on and off the sofa was a full blown mission that seemed to take a life time, but it was quieter and I could actually sleep for a few hours at a time. Bending was impossible for those first weeks, so we set up our lives in the living room. Baby slept in his pram, his bath was on the dining table (with a fully equipped changing station), with everything at my height. It was the only way I could actively get involved in learning how to be the mum I’d always dreamt of.

Maternity pads were my new best friend, not just for the after birth bleeding but for my section (what your wound is called). They prevented clothes from rubbing, and were there to apply pressure with if I needed to sneeze, cough or get up out of a chair (I tried so hard not to sneeze). We thought we were doing okay, breastfeeding was a real struggle for me but we were all learning together, however the second morning at home was one of the scariest days of my life.

My little man was crying for a feed, I was tired and got out of bed too quickly using my tummy muscles (you soon find ways to get out of bed, mine was mostly a duck and roll kind of style). I felt a pop and rip across my stitches and froze; blood ran down my leg (watery, but still blood) and I won’t even explain to you the images that rushed through my head. After what seemed like a lifetime of fear, chaos and a very brief experience in an ambulance, a midwife said it was a heamatoma that burst but that this was was quite common and I could go back home and wait for the community midwife to visit! QUITE COMMON? Why did nobody tell me to watch out for this? The shock stayed with me for days and I didn’t want to sleep in our bed, so took to the armchair as I was too scared it would happen again … but worse! This wasn’t the best idea, resulting in a very sore bum and swollen feet, but I was happier with that then the idea of getting out of bed again.

My community midwife was incredible, and when she saw me in so much discomfort she phoned the doctors surgery and arranged for a doctor to come visit me; she told me what to say and ask for and I was prescribed stronger pain relief that I could use while breastfeeding. 

Things became much more manageable, though the tiny wound created by the burst hematoma didn’t heal for 5 weeks, which made walking about very uncomfortable. After a month, I eventually went out with baby and a dear friend who helped me with my bags and pram and it was wonderful, I wished I’d have done it sooner. Staying indoors with family and friends pampering you and your baby is wonderful, but my nerves were severely hit as I hadn’t yet experienced the small hurdles which many mums get to do in the first week … (getting the pram out of the car, setting the pram up, pushing the pram around on your own – going up and down steps into shops, feeding whilst out – you name it, I wasn’t used to it!) so it was hard to adjust … but once I had, it made such a difference to my mental health!

At my six week check I was given the all clear; my scar had healed well, I could drive again and I felt so excited to be independent. So much so that I went for a 5 mile walk. Not the best idea considering I’d pretty much done nothing for 6 weeks, but I loved it. After some working through the nerves, we were off, joining groups, meeting friends and loving our new found freedom (even though my baby hated the car. What kind of baby does not sleep in the car?).

Having a cesarean wasn’t something I’d planned for, and surprisingly the fear of the unknown affected me more than I ever expected. That first month was one of the most difficult, yet precious ones I’ve ever experienced in my life. Like everything else in parenthood, it was a phase that had to happen and we got through it together as a family (this includes all my family and friends who helped throughout, and still do). I now have a 9 month old baby who I chase after constantly, I am back at work part-time and I’m carrying on with life just like before (with the extra added addition of course). Simply … I couldn’t be happier.

Thanks for reading and I hope that has helped anyone nervous about the unexpected. All stories are different and everyone has different experiences. This is mine and although it was a little hairy in places, everything worked out and I have the family I always wanted!

x Mikaela – Mummy to Brannon, born at NNUH on 1 June 2017 x